Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Zistle Trade

I completed a trade on Zistle recently.  If you are not familiar with Zistlethen I highly encourage you to check it out.

This trade was a rather quick one.  Sorry for the quality of the photos.  I do not have a scanner, so I had to use a potato...


Part of the trade included some 2010 Topps National Chicle.  I usually enjoy nostalgic cards like these, Topps Archives, and Topps Heritage.  These cards are also from the period when I did not collect, so they were new to me.  I think it was the art work that intrigued me the most about these set of cards.

The card set design is based on the 1935 National Chicle Football cards.  Apparently, this was the first nationally released set to feature only football players.  

Topps used a handful of different artists to create their all-painted baseball card set.  Some of the art work is a little bland, like those pictured above.  Tom Seaver looks like he wants to take over Gotham.  Some of the artists did a great job, though.  The best looking of the cards I received are pictured below. 

I read a number of reviews from when these were originally released.  Most reviews were pretty negative in terms of value, but most complemented the art work.  It is a bit weird to have baseball cards inspired by football cards (or vice versa), but I think, for the most part, it works here.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment